Monday, September 27, 2010

Flea Market

My visit to the Opa-Locka Flea Market was rather interesting. I chose to do my assignment at this location because I thought that I would find myself in an uncomfortable situation simply because flea markets are so diverse and crowded and the location is not somewhere I frequent often. I felt brave enough to get up and go Sunday afternoon. I dorve over and to my suprise was not charged for parking which was rather nice of the guy sitting at the front. I walked through little shops set up in rows and occassionally smiled at strangers who looked my way. I felt a little out of place but found myself enetrtained by the merchandise around me. I eventually made my way to the food court and found a live band consisting of one hispanic man and two hispanic women set up on a small stage. The music was energizing and they sang some of my favorite songs. I sat down at what appeared to be a small little bar and asked the bartender for a beer. I could still feel people's eyes piercing at me but I tried to make myself as comfotable as I possible could. I chugged my beer pretty fast, hoping it would relax me a bit, and it it. I began to engage in a conversation with Carmen, the bartender. She expalined that the atmosphere was pretty consistent and asked me to come back next weekend. I must admit that I am not fully comfortable but I do feel that my next visit will go a little more smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment